Thursday, June 25, 2009

Why did the chicken cross the barn?

To lay her eggs in the horse's feed bucket apparently. About a week ago, one of our hens decided to start laying her eggs in Ziggy's feed bucket. She's been doing it consistently despite the fact that the bucket is about 3 1/2 feet above the ground attached to the stall's wall. It's not exactly an easy place for a hen to get into and I imagine it's even harder to get out of. Nevertheless, whenever we go to feed Ziggy, we have to de-egg his bucket first. The hens have perfectly decent nest boxes on the other side of the barn. The other hens have no problem using them. So why is this one hen (I'm assuming it's the same hen every day) laying her eggs in Ziggy's feed bucket. I don't know. If you have any ideas. Let me know.

In other news, I had my fourth lesson with Christine earlier tonight. But I must admit I'm a bit too tired to write it up tonight. I'll do it tomorrow during the day.

No comments:

Post a Comment